THE results for the 2012 Absa Cape Epic lottery were officially released last Thursday.

Thousands of mountain bikers and enthusiasts gritted
their teeth, waiting for this moment, when randomly selected applicants
would have the opportunity to participate in the 9th edition of the
legendary mountain bike stage race. The event will once again see riders
battle the natural elements and each other in an eight day encounter
starting on March 25 and concluding on 2012 April 1. 

Known as the Tour de France of mountain biking, the Absa Cape Epic is
currently the most televised mountain bike stage race in the world, luring
top cyclists from all corners of the globe to test their physical and mental
stamina. For the 2012 edition, cyclists from 55 different countries were
invited to register. These included Russia, the United States of America,
Germany, Brazil, Mexico and France, amongst others.

Including the riders who have been successful in the Early Bird Entries in
April, the percentage of international riders is currently standing at 38%,
with the percentage of South African riders making up the remaining 62%. The
percentage of ladies successful in the lottery for the 2012 Absa Cape Epic
currently stands at 11% with the remaining percentage of 89% being men.

The 100 Early Bird entries, which were made available on April 4 this year, were
sold out within minutes. This happened less than a day after the 2011 Absa
Cape Epic had been concluded at its traditional Lourensford Wine Estate

Participants in the 2012 Absa Cape Epic can prepare themselves for another
challenging adventure, which will see them complete 800km of tough mountain
biking terrain with 15 000m of climbing over eight days, beginning on March 25
and finishing on April 1. 

The route for the 2012 Absa Cape Epic will be announced at the exclusive
route launch, being held on October 26 this year.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.