Chiefs claims the second position as SuperSport's woes continues


SuperSport United’s woes continued when they lost their fourth league game in seven outings and this time 2-0 to the rejuvinated Kaizer Chiefs.

The match in Atteridgeville’s Lucas Masterpieces Moripe outside Tshwane saw United ‘s forward men, Anthony Laffor and Fikru Tefera giving the mighty Amakhosi’s defense led by Valery Nehayo and Dominic Isaacs some early nightmares with their darting moves.

Tefera almost put the Gavin Hunt’ charges in the lead in the 12th minute when he connected Jabulani Maluleke’s cross, but his header lacked power.

Not to be outdone, Chiefs who claimed second position on the log with 14 points, one point behind log leaders Mamelodi Sundowns (15 points) fought back and they came closer to scoring, but it was not meant to be when free-scoring Knowledge Musona volloyed the ball over the bars in the 19th minute. This after the reigning Jet Club PSL Rookie of the Year had connect Abia Nale’s cross.

The determined Chiefs who later were reduced to 10 men after Kaizer Motaung Jr was shown his marching orders went on to stole the lime-light as the match progressed, and they started to visit United’s goal-mouth regularly, and they were finally rewarded in the 41st minute via Musona who blasted home from a 16-yard after a good chip from the hard-running Mthokozisi Yende. This was after Brent Carelse’s failure to put Matsatsantsa A Pitori in the lead after his volley was saved by Chiefs goalkeeper, Itumeleng Khune in the 32nd minute.

SuperSport came out with purpose after the break and were close to scoring in the 48th minute when Maluleke’s low drive from a tight angle flashed just wide of the upright after a searching ball from Laffor.

The complexion of the game was changed in the 57th minute when Kaizer Motaung Jr was red-carded, having retaliated after keeper Wayne Brown’s said something to upset him.

There was soon another chance for the hosts, but Laffor twice in quick succession was unable to find a finishing touch.

Nale though had a good chance to extend the Soweto side’s advantage in the 62nd minute, but sent a volley over the bar.

With Khune appearing to be struggling with an injury, United tried their luck from range which saw Thandani Ntshumayelo testing the keeper with a stinging drive while David Kannemeyer was off target with his effort.

SuperSport continued to push for an equaliser, but 10-man Chiefs defended with discipline.

And it paid off in the 84th minute when Siyabulela Songwiqi burst clean through on goal from a counter-attack, the former Bay United man showing great composure to slot past Brown.

The champions rallied hard in the dying moments of the game, showing character in trying to fight back, but time and time again poor finishing and some determined defending by the Glamour Boys sealed a rare league win for the Johannesburg team.-additional report by Backpagepix

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.