Limpopo-based outfit, Polokwane City has been rewarded for their recent surge in form as they were declared 2014/15 Absa Premiership Q-Innovation Quarter Two (Q2) winners.
Polokwane City consolidated their position on pole this weekend when they beat Chippa United 3-1 at the Old Peter Mokaba Stadium. The triumph meant that they cannot be caught by second-placed side on Q2 Kaizer Chiefs who have 12 points from six games.
Polokwane City have banked 16 points from six matches – five victories, one draw and no loss with one match remaining. The Absa Premiership Quarter Two consists of seven matches. The Polokwane-based will take home R1, 5 million for winning the quarter.
PSL CEO, Brand de Villiers congratulated Polokwane City: “The Absa Premiership Quarter Two has proven to be an interesting battle and I think Polokwane City impressed many with their form and a remarkable turn-around. They deservedly finished top of Quarter Two. I would like to congratulate the club chairman, the coach, the players and the fans for this impressive feat.”
– Current log leaders, Kaizer Chiefs won 2014/15 Quarter One (Q1)
– In the 2013/14 season, Mamelodi Sundowns won Quarter 1, 3 and 4
– Kaizer Chiefs won Quarter Two
– The Prize money is R1, 5 million for a Quarter Winner.
– Since the introduction of the Q-Innovation (2012/13), Kaizer Chiefs has won the most number of quarters – 4 Quarters followed by Mamelodi Sundowns with 3 Quarters and Platinum Stars with 2 Quarters.
– Polokwane City is the fourth club to win a quarter since the introduction of the Q-Innovation.