Magical Chiefs hammer Arrows


A GOAL by Lehlohonolo Majoro and two from substitute Kingston Nkhatha gave Kaizer Chiefs a 3-0 win over Golden Arrows in a Premiership match that Chiefs dominated, but struggled to turn possession into goals.

Nkatha made all the difference when coming on after Chiefs huffed and puffed, struggling to turn ball possession into goals. His two goals in the second half eased all the pressure.

The opening chance of the game arrived in the 2nd minute when Siboniso Gaxa slid in a juicy first time low cross and Lehlohonolo Majoro flicked it goalwards only to see Pavels Steinbors tip it out for a corner.

Arrows’ first chance on goal arrived from a corner kick in the 11th minute. Ogle swung in the corner, which found Zambian Justine Zulu at the far post but his first time attempt was straight at Khune.

But then in the 14th minute Majoro struck with a cool and classy finish. Siphiwe Tshabalala was on the end of a swift one-two combination and squared the ball to Majoro, who already knew what he wanted to do, and bent the ball away from Steinbors’ grasp and in.

Three minutes later Majoro got on the end of an inviting cross from the right, but just could not get enough of his head on the ball to make the keeper sweat.

In the 25th minute Philani Shange went down inside the danger area after making a good turn, but the referee felt he went down too easily and was looking for a spot kick. Shange was booked for this.

Chiefs went close in the 30th minute when Siyabonga Nkosi got up high to flick on a header at goal, but Steinbors moved quickly to tip the ball around his upright.

On the stroke of halfime, Majoro got wide and flashed a shot across goal, but should have either hit the target or crossed instead. In the end it was another chance wasted in a half where Chiefs totally dominated Arrows.

Just two minutes into the second half and Chiefs asked questions of Arrows again. After a great through pass George Lebese got in a shot at goal, but Steinbors did well to save.

In the 62nd minute Thamsanqa Gabuza got himself into a good scoring position, but he blasted way over the bar with his left foot.

Ten minutes later Kingston Nkhatha missed a very good chance when he got on the end of Tshabalala’s free kick but somehow mis-guided his header altogether even though he was unmarked and right in front of goal.

But just a minute later Chiefs finally made it count and got their second. Nkhatha was quickest to a long ball over the top that caught the Arrows backline too square. When Steinbors came out and mis-timed his attempted clearance, Nkhatha’s header trickled the ball into an empty net.

Nkhatha pounced again in the 83rd minute when he showed great skill to control a long ball on the run before powering in a shot, which beat Steinbors at his near post.

Kaizer Chiefs (1) 3 (Majoro 14’ Nkhatha 75’, 83’)

Golden Arrows 0


Chiefs: Khune; Gaxa, Mathoho, Mashamaite, Ritchie; Nkosi (Katsande 66’), Letsholonyane, Tshabalala, Lebese; Majoro (Motaung Jnr 83’), Rusike (Nkhatha 66’)

Arrows: Steinbors; Zwane, Bilankulu, Musonda, Tom; Shange, Zulu (Keita 83’), Khuboni, Ogle (Mlotshwa 55’); Lewis (Gabuza 42’), Smith.-Backpage TXT



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.