By Sports Focus Reporter
The Premier Soccer League announced on Thursday in Johannesburg that they will be ending Telkom’s sponsorship of the charity cup and the tournament will be disbanded completely.
“We (the PSL) have come to the decision to remove the competition from our programme to address fixture congestion during the season,” said PSL chairman Irvin Khoza.
Khoza said this decision would not affect the Telkom knockout competition.
The schedule will now see the MTN8 as the season’s opening event, and will be completed before the start of the PSL season.
This will ensure the fixtures of the first event no longer interfere with league games.
Khoza said the aim was to try and reduce the number of players affected by injury and to enable clubs to focus on more definite objectives.
“This won’t affect Telkom’s contributions to charity through the premiership,” added Khoza
The complete program will include the MTN8, the Absa Premier League, the Telkom knockout and the Nedbank Cup.
The charity cup was first played in 1986 under the banner of the Iwisa Maize Meal Soccer Spectacular. Its first four editions were held at Ellis Park, and thereafter Soccer City became the home of the event until 2006.
From 1999 to 2006 the one-day crowd puller was known as just Charity Spectacular until Telkom came on board as title sponsor from 2007, and it became known as the Telkom Charity Cup.
The tournament left Gauteng for the first time with the arrival of Telkom, playing in the North West venues of Mmbathio and Royal Bafokeng stadiums.
It returned to Soccer City last year, where Kaizer Chiefs won its 11th edition. Orlando Pirates were the second highest winners with seven titles, followed by Mamelodi Sundowns with five.