Polokwane, Chiefs ends in goalless draw

Polokwane City's influential star, Puleng Tlolane.

Polokwane City’s influential star, Puleng Tlolane.

SOMEHOW Polokwane City and Kaizer Chiefs’ thrilling Absa Premiership match has ended goalless on Tuesday evening despite an enormous amount of excellent goal scoring opportunities.

For the neutral fans it would have been a very exciting end to end battle, but both coaches would have pulled their hair out at the number of squandered opportunities, mostly from Chiefs.

Log leaders Chiefs remain twelve points ahead of Ajax Cape Town who are in second position on the table while Polokwane stay in position 11.

Within the first minute of the game Kingston Nkhatha got into space and shot at goal only to a win a corner kick after Modiri Marumo palmed the ball out.

The first chance at goal for Polokwane came after 8 minutes when they put together some combination passing that ended with Puleng Tlolane striking at goal, but his shot flew over the bar.

Zambian left back Joseph Musonda, now 37, got down the wing in the 17th minute and cut inside onto his left foot and shot at goal, but it missed the near post.

Two minutes later and Amakhosi should have taken the lead when Nkhatha put his header wide following a brilliant ball into the box by Siphiwe Tshabalala. Nkhatha was under pressure by keeper Marumo and took a knock in the process.

Chiefs came very close to scoring in the 34th minute when Marumo spills a cross and Tshabalala took a snap shot at goal, but a Polokwane defender managed to block the shot and Marumo gathered the ball safely.

In the 38th minute Nkhatha had the ball in the back of the net after the keeper Marumo fumbled a deep cross and the ball fell free. Nkhatha powered his way past Marumo and bundled the ball into the goal. But referee Victor Gomes blew for a foul on the keeper, and disallowed the goal.

Five minutes into the second half and Marumo made amends for his shaky first half when he made a good low save to deny Lebese and then Bernard Parker somehow missed an open goal a minute later.

If that was not enough, Marumo made another good save to deny Lebese from close range in a period of play where Chiefs could have scored three times.

Then on the hour mark, Brilliant Khuzwayo was called into action on the other end to deny Esau Kanyenda a long range goal with a crucial save. And three minutes later Khuzwayo had to tip away a swerving Jabu Maluleke shot as the home side began to run at Chiefs’ defence.

In the 74th minute Amakhosi missed an absolute sitter when Nkhatha fluffed a shot from right in front of an open goal. Tshabalala did so well on the right, crossed into the box and the ball fell Nkhatha who opened up his body and used his left foot, and the ball flew wide of the post.

Khuzwayo made three consecutive saves in the 87th minute to keep Polokwane out when they had put Chiefs under tremendous pressure as the second half continued to be end to end action.

To sum up the night’s action, it was a game that deserved several goals. But the ball just could not find its way into the net.

Polokwane City 0

Kaizer Chiefs 0


Polokwane: Marumo, Molala, Musonda (Mnqibisa 74’), Tema, Motumi, Maluleke, Alexander, Langa, Majafa (Jembula 46’), Kanyenda, Tlolane

Chiefs: Khuzwayo, Gaxa, Mashamaite, Gould, Masilela, Maluleka, Katsande, Tshabalala, Lebese (Masango 81’), Parker, Nkhatha (Mthembu 81’)-Backpage TXT

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.