By FOCUS REPORTER
The National Executive Committee (NEC) of the South African Football Association (SAFA) held its first meeting of the year on Saturday, 5 February 2011. The meeting was held at SAFA House.
The NEC took the following decisions:
1. Set up a three-man team to look into the possible name change of Bafana Bafana. Vice-President Danny Jordaan will head the team that will investigate the matter. The panel also includes SAFA President, Kirsten Nematandani and Alpha Mchunu.
2. Transnet wants to hand over the School of Excellence back to SAFA. A feasibility study will be undertaken on the future of the school.
3. The Association is also looking at the possibility of acquiring its own land to build a football sports centre.
4. SAFA will hold a Soccer Indaba at the end of March to discuss matters of importance in football. This will be followed by a Constitutional Summit that will involve all key stakeholders to look into the issues discussed at the Indaba.
5. The Association celebrates its 20-year Anniversary on 23 March 2011 and a task team has been set up to start preparing for the festivities that should include all persons that have been with the organization in the last 20 years.
The Meeting also ratified the following:
1. The appointment of Ms Pinky Lehoko as the Acting Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Association until the end of March 2011.
2. The interview process for appointing a new CEO will start on Monday, 7 February 2011. A panel has been put together to run with the process and it’s expected that the new CEO will be installed at the beginning of April 2011.
3. The announcement of the new sponsor for the Association will be made on Monday, February 7 at the Southern Sun Grayston Hotel in Sandton, starting at 8.30 for 9.00am. NB the announcement was rescheduled for the date still to be confirmed.
4. That the Acting CEO will write a letter to CAF requesting the host agreement documents for the 2017 African Cup of Nations tournament that need to be signed. Thereafter the Local Organising Committee will be set up.