Tshwane comes to Jozi in Nedbank Cup final


SUPERSPORT United joined city rivals Mamelodi Sundowns in the final of the Nedbank Cup after they defeated AmaZulu 3-0 in their semifinal clash played at the Peter Mokaba Stadium yesterday.

Thabiso Nkoana, Kermitt Erasmus and Sibusiso Zuma all found the back of the net for the men from Pretoria.

United coach Gavin Hunt made seven changes to the side that played against Orlando Pirates in their last match.

AmaZulu have made a blistering start to the game and as early as the second minute Siyabonga Vilane beat makeshift centre back Glen Salmon for pace and unleashed a thunderous shot that beat Ronwen Williams in the United goals, but the ball came off the crossbar.

Half way through the first half in the 23rd minute, AmaZulu’s Mark Van Heerden found some space from a rebound ball and unleashed a shot from 30-yards out, but he fired well wide.

In the 33rd minute the Durbanites had another chance as the United defence failed to clear properly and allowed Vilane to nip in, but his shot was straight at Williams who got in a strong block.

But against the run of play, United took the lead in the 35th minute.

Erasmus showed great skill and control on the edge of the area on the left side before he lost his marker, and unselfishly cut the ball back across for Nkoana who had the simplest task of tapping home the ball, making it 1-0 at the break.

In the second half, when he was hardly on the pitch for a minute, substitute Zuma showed he still had pace in his ageing legs when he cut in from the left wing and let fly a shot from outside the box which went wide in the 60th minute.

In the 67th minute a mistake between defender and goalkeeper gave AmaZulu the chance to sneak the vital equaliser, but Ayanda Ddlamini was crowded out at the far-post and ultimately could not get his head on the ball.

But AmaZulu were then made to pay again. Nkoana did brilliantly down the left wing before cutting in and losing his marker, and although his effort was blocked point-blank by AmaZulu keeper Tapuwa Kapini, the ball bounced kindly into the path of Erasmus who smashed into the back of the net in the 75th minute.

United weren’t done yet as they increased their lead 13 minutes later.

The ball was floated into the AmaZulu area where Tsweu Mokoro completely misjudged the flight, and Zuma showed good skill to flick the ball up and over the second marker, and although the SuperSport man looked to have wasted the chance, he turned quickly and fired his shot which ricochets off the defender and goalkeeper before nestling in the back of the net, 3-0.

SuperSport United (1) 3 (Nkoana 35’, Erasmus 75’, Zuma 80’)
AmaZulu (0) 0

SuperSport United: R Williams, G Salmon (M Booysens ), D Nkausu, G Kekana, T September; S Mdluli (S Zuma 60’), T Nkoana, M Gabonamong, S Doutie, A Hartog; K Erasmus (D Borman 92’)

AmaZulu: T Kapini; T Teyise, T Mokoro, C Nyadombo, M van Heerden; T Shipahu (D Zwane 78’), S Kgatla (S Lewis 78’), T Sangweni, G Dlamini (K Senamela 70’), S Vilane; A Dlamini


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.