Wits breaks Lamontville's Golden Arrows

A solid all-round performance by Bidvest Wits earned them an impressive 4-1 win against their hapless hosts Lamontville Golden Arrows in an Absa Premiership match played at the Chatsworth Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

Tefu Mashamaite and Nyiko Tshabangu got Wits goals in the first half, while Sifiso Myeni and Asive Langwe netted for the ‘Clever Boys’ in the second stanza. Second half substitute Sphesihle Nzimande got a consolation for Arrows.

Thulasizwe Khuzwayo who got his first start of the season between the sticks for Arrows was kept busy throughout the 90 minutes by the opposition.

He was called into action in the first minute of play when Thandyusie Khuboni’s mistimed clearance in the Arrows penalty area placed Sifiso Vilakazi with a one-on-one situation with keeper. But the striker was denied by Khuzwayo who was alert to the danger and responded by coming off his goal line in the nick of time and smothered Vilakazi’s attempt.

Ten minutes later, Khuzwayo was forced to parry Sifiso Myeni’s strike from the edge of the penalty area to safety. From the resulting corner, Wits captain Tefu Mashamaite opened the scoring with a glancing header.

A few minutes later, Myeni tested Khuzwayo’s reflexes with another powerful drive from distance. The keeper was at full stretch to prevent Wits from going further ahead.

By this stage Wits was in complete control of the contest and had their hosts pinned in their own half. All Arrows were able to muster was the odd counter-attacking move.

From one such break the Arrows midfielder Russel Mlotshwa warmed the finger tips of Darren Keet with a dipping drive from distance.

Wits continued to play with purpose and pushed forward at every opportunity, keeping the overworked Arrows defence on their toes.

Defender Rene Richards hit a rasping drive from about 30 metres away that crashed onto the crossbar, with the keeper was well beaten.

The visitors were further rewarded for their enterprise with a second goal in the 37th minute when Khuzwayo failed to control a Vilakazi strike. The Ball fell into the path of Nyiko Tshabangu who pounced with a low effort which eluded the keepers reach.

Arrows coach Zoran Filipovic wrung the changes after the interval as he introduced attack minded players Sphesihle Nzimande and Ithumeleng Duiker in the places of Siyabonga Nkosi and Njabulo Manqana.

It was Nzimande who gave the home side a glimmer of hope when he steered Siyanda Zwane’s into the Wits goals with a well timed header in the 77th minute.

But Wits re-established their two goal cushion two minutes later when defender Musa Bilankulu brought down Myeni in the Arrows penalty area. Referee Robert Smith had no hesitation in awarding the penalty kick which Myeni slotted home.

Wits completed the rout when Khuzwayo came off his line to collect Brad Phillips punt out, but Asive Langwe got there first and duly headed past the stranded keeper.-Story by backpagepix


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.