THE major World Professional Football Leagues joined in Manchester for an historical day for the development of a united professional football.
The World League Association (WLA)has been officially launched and declared by the appointment of the five founding Members, namely The
Association of European Professional Football Leagues (EPFL), The South African Premier Soccer League in Africa, The Major League Soccer
(MLS) in America, The Thai Professional League in Asia and The United Arab Emirates League in the Middle East.
The Board of Directors of the new WLA would consist of nine Members, five from the EPFL and the remaining four from the other founding
Members. They will be Dr. Irvin Khoza (Chairman South African Premier Soccer League), Don Garber (Commissioner of the MLS),
WorawiMakudi (President of The Thai Professional League) and YousefYaqoob Al Serkal (Chairman of the United Arab Emirates League).
To new WLA is aimed to be the leading voice of the Leagues at World level by protecting the game’s positive values, enhancing football’s
standards and promoting the further development of the Leagues with strategic vision, reformist spirit and strong social conscience.
The WLA’s main purposes are:
• to promote and develop Professional Football in all its dimensions on and off the pitch;
• To foster cooperation and unity among the World Leagues, while promoting and safeguarding their common interests and aspirations;
• To be the voice of the leagues in the World on all matters of common interest
• To foster dialogue, cooperation, friendly relations and unity between the leagues
• To promote professional football and safeguard the overall interests of the leagues at World level;
• To facilitate the collection and exchange information and best practices between the leagues;
• To foster friendly relations between the Association and other sports bodies (FIFA, IOC, Confederations, FIFPro, etc.) and sport-related political institutions;
• To preserve the principles and positive values of football and to protect the integrity of the game at all times
• To organise exhibitions, conferences, training courses and other collective events relating to the promotion of professional football and the commercial development of the Leagues
The first WLA Congress shall be held in Bangkok, Thailand, on September 2012.